The natural complexion of the skin is determined by the amount of coloring pigment (melanin) that the body produces. Generally, skin complexion is a matter of heredity. However, sometimes skin tends to become darker due to hyper-pigmentation. This may result from prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, which stimulates the skin to produce more melanin in order to protect itself from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun. Overexposure to sunlight can also cause the appearance of dark patches on the skin.
Home Remedies To Lighten Dark Skin
There are several simple home remedies that you may follow to lighten your complexion.
- One of the most popular ways of getting a fairer complexion is to mix a tablespoon each of honey, milk powder and lime juice, and add to it a little almond oil and apply this paste on your face. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes before washing it away with water. This is a useful remedy to treat tanned skin and restore a natural glow to your skin.
- Another time-tested means of lightening your complexion is to apply a paste of turmeric powder and lime juice on your face every day. Both turmeric and lime juice have natural bleaching properties, which help make your skin look lighter.
- If your skin has become dark due to tanning, crush a few fresh mint leaves and apply their juice on your face and neck and leave it on for 10 minutes. Then wash it away with cold water. Following this remedy every day for two weeks produces a marked lightening in your complexion.
- For another remedy, mix two spoonfuls of dried and powdered orange peel in a cup of curd and massage this paste on your face gently. After about 15 minutes, wash your face with cold water. This works as an excellent natural face scrub and makes your skin look fairer.
- You could also soak a few almonds in half a cup of water overnight and grind them into a fine paste the next morning. Apply this paste on your face and wash it off with water after it dries.
- In addition, you may also make a face pack by mixing two tablespoons of gram flour and a few drops of lemon juice with some raw milk and apply this paste on your face. After 15 minutes, wash it away with cold water.
- Applying grated or pulped raw potato or the juice of a tomato twice every day on the skin is also helpful in lightening skin tone.