Tonsils defend the upper respiratory tract against microorganisms by trapping and destroying them. But sometimes the tonsils themselves get infected by bacteria or viruses and become inflamed, causing pain and irritation in throat. This condition is known as tonsillitis. The most visible symptom of this condition is the appearance of irregular red or white eruptions in the area. Other common symptoms are sore throat, difficulty in swallowing, runny nose, coughing and sneezing, headache and fever. Tonsillitis is highly infectious and is transmitted from one person to another very easily. It is advisable to consult an ENT specialist if there is formation of pus in the tonsils or if it persists for more than a couple of days.
Home Remedies For Tonsils Cure
However, there are a few simple home remedies that you may follow to treat tonsillitis.
- One of the most popular and effective means of treating tonsillitis is to mix two teaspoons of common salt in a glass of boiling water and then gargle with this solution when it cools down to a bearable temperature. This not only relieves pain and reduces swelling but also acts as a natural disinfectant that kills the germs that cause tonsillitis.
- Take a few cloves of garlic and grind them into a fine paste. Spread this paste on a piece of thin cloth and heat it gently over a low flame till the juice starts to ooze out. Now mix this juice with an equal amount of honey and apply it locally on the tonsils for quick relief from pain.
- For another remedy, mix a pinch of black pepper and turmeric powder into a glass of warm milk and drink this solution twice every day for a week.
- You could also boil a few dry figs in water and then grind them into a paste. Applying this on the tonsils helps reduce the swelling inside the throat.
- Another simple remedy is to squeeze the juice of a lemon into a glass of lukewarm water, and then add a few drops of honey and a pinch of salt into it. Stir the contents of the glass well and then drink this solution while it is still warm. Repeating this process twice every day cures tonsillitis.
- The juice of carrot, cucumber and beetroot, consumed separately or mixed together, is highly beneficial in treating tonsillitis.
- Also, take care to avoid sour foods like pickles and curd, as these tend to aggravate the inflammation.